ACC Athletics Carnival Update
Students are in full preparation mode for the 2019 Division 1 ACC Athletics Carnival which will be held in Week 9.
On Tuesday, students in Years 7 – 10 competed in the NAS Carnival. There was plenty of energy and enthusiasm with many students achieving personal best results. It must give the whole team a lot of confidence knowing that we can mix it with Division 1 Schools like Sacred Heart and Chisholm College.
It is very important that all athletes now commit to training over the final few weeks so that we are best prepared individually and collectively to achieve our best.
Outdoor Education Update
It has been a busy few weeks in Outdoor Education at Newman College.
The Year 12 ATAR Outdoor Education students attended their final camp of their high school journey by running activities for the Year 6, 7 and 8 student leaders. These student leaders were treated to a variety of activities which included high ropes, flying foxes, blind trails, natural interpretation activities, team building games and much more. Congratulations to the Year 12 ATAR students who have successfully completed their final camp.
Currently the Year 12 General Outdoor Education students are attending their Cape to Cape hiking expedition in the South Western region of Western Australia. This camp sees them hike the northern sections of the famous Cape to Cape track between Gracetown and the Dunsborough Lighthouse. Students also get to experience a surf lesson in the famous breaks of the Yallingup region as well as a personal guided caving experience in Giants cave. We wish them safe travels home and hope they enjoyed their final three day expedition of the high school journey.
Term 3 will see two more expeditions occurring across both Year 11 ATAR and General pathways. These students have been focusing on Mountain Biking skills and leadership and will be tested on their three day mountain biking expeditions. The ATAR students depart Tuesday 10 September and will ride from Northcliffe to Walpole (over 130km). The General Outdoor Education students depart on Tuesday 24 September and will travel over a distance of 110km. All riding will take place on the Mundabiddi Mountain Bike trail.
Years 3-6 Athletics Carnival – Wednesday 5 September
The Lavalla Athletics Carnival is coming up this Wednesday 4 September. I thank our Physical Education teacher, Mrs Jemma Bulmer, in advance for the preparation of this event celebrating the athletic gifts and talents of our students. Click here to access the program for the day.
IPSHA Cross Country Carnival
On Thursday 22nd August, 65 students across Years 3-6 represented the College at the IPSHA Cross Country event at John XXIII College. Each student represented our College with exemplary effort and behaviour over the day, which was acknowledged by our own staff but also commended by staff from other schools. Click here to read more and see more photos from the day.
Years 7-12 Sporting Teams Photos
To view and order copies of the sporting teams photos taken on School Photo Day please click here.
- Congratulations to William McAullay (Year 10) and Ellie Jones (Year 10) who travelled to Woollongong last week and represented WA in the All Schools Australian Cross Country Championships.
- Well done to Tyler Connelly (Year 10) and Lyla Macpherson (Year 8) who are through to the next round of the SunSmart State Metro Surfing Titles. Tyler and Ella Vulinovich (Year 8) have also progressed in the Body Boarding division.
- Congratulations to our Head Running Coach, Ben Chamberlain (Class of 2015), who took out the Chevron City to Surf 12km run with an outstanding time of 36 minutes 54 seconds.
- Congratulations Madeline Peou (Year 7) who has made the State Year 7 Netball team.
- Goodluck to Dean Morse (Year 9) and Lara Bosnjakovic (Year 12) are trialing for the ACC All Stars Basketball team over the next few weeks.