The Marist Brothers’ introduction to education in Western Australia commenced in 1913 at St. Ildephonsus Boarding College at New Norcia.
In 1954 the Brothers founded St. Joseph’s in Subiaco however rapid student growth over the next decade necessitated the move to a more spacious property and Marist College Churchlands was created.
In 1977, an amalgamation of schools administered by the Brigidine Sisters (Floreat campus), Dominican Sisters (Doubleview campus) and the Marist Brothers (Churchlands campus) led to the creation of Newman College. The name was chosen in recognition of John Henry Newman a great religious theologian and leader in the English Catholic church.
In 2005 the Primary and Secondary schools combined to form the current Kindergarten to Year 12 College administered by one Principal. Newman College is a congregational owned College governed by Marist Schools Australia.
In recent times
- In 2009, the Year 7 cohort relocated from the Primary School (Lavalla Campus) to the Middle School (Marcellin Campus).
- In 2010, the Year 3 cohort relocated from Early Childhood (Marian Campus) to the Primary School (Lavalla Campus).
- In 2011, the first intake of 3 year old Pre-Kindergarten students commenced at the Marian Campus.