Marist Cricket Carnival Update
The Marist Cricketers, under the expert guidance of Head Coach John Lucas, will compete in the 2019 Australian Marist Cricket Carnival held in Lismore, New South Wales 1 – 7 December this term.
It is a great honour and privilege to be part of a Marist touring team. Congratulations to the following students who have been selected. We wish them all the best and they go with our blessing and support, knowing that they will bring skill, spirit, sportsmanship and represent the College proudly.
Tatenda Makova (Captain), Dylan Mulligan (Vice Captain), Tommy Hacker, Marc Papalia, Sam Probert, Sam Vucak, Julian Maceri, Damon Broun, Ben Perkin, Patrick Jamieson, Tex Gallagher, Finlay Chivers, Patrick Hillery, Ryan Leach
Girls Dockers Cup
This week, our Junior AFLW players had a fantastic couple of days of competition at this year’s Dockers Cup. The girls played their hearts out and competed with commitment and intensity. The standard of competition improves dramatically each year and our players matched it with all schools, narrowly missing out on the Grand Final in each year level. A big thank you to all the coaches for making it such a fun and enjoyable event.
- Well done to Antonia Poor (Yr 11) for selection in the Australian U18 Womens Water Polo Squad. Antonia is now in training for next year’s World Championships being held in Israel.
- Congratulations to George Barclay (Yr 8) for winning this year’s NAS Golf Tournament. George was the overall winner shooting a round of 77 to clinch the title.
- Imogen Boss (Yr 7) has qualified to represent Newman College/WA in December at the National All Schools Championships by taking out the silver medal for WA in the U14 1kg Discus.
- Congratulations to Josh Baker (Yr 12) for achieving ACC Letters in Athletics. First introduced in 2013, the awarding of “ACC Letters” is the highest individual accolade awarded by the ACC. To receive “Letters”, a student must be selected in an All Star team in the same sport for the prescribed minimum of four years. A “Letter” represents long hard days of practice and grueling contests. It represents loyalty and the unselfish faithfulness of each student while in pursuit of a definite goal. Well done Josh.
- In October, Grace Rose (Yr 8) played in the Flames WA U15’s lacrosse team, in Adelaide. The team went undefeated throughout the tournament however were were narrowly beaten by Victoria in the grand final 7-9.
- Congratulations to Yelena Kelleher (Yr 7) who attended The National Federation Cup Final Camp where the top Junior Girl tennis players in the country are invited to meet and train with the Australian players, including world number one Ash Barty! This coincides with the Fed Cup final being played in Perth this weekend.
- Well done to Luke Bourke (Yr 7) who finished 1st in yesterday’s Junior Boys School Sport WA Triathalon Championships. Luke completed the swim, cycle and run at the Champion Lakes Course in 36.19mins, to win by over a minute. This is a fantastic achievement considering it involves students from all Perth schools. Congratulations Luke!
Newman Sporting Association News
The Newman Sporting Association have announced the NSA Team of the Year and Individual Sports Person of the Year. The Team award was won by the J Yr 11/12 Newman Knights Hockey Team. The boys finished the 2019 season in the best possible way with a thrilling Grand Final win over Southern River to become Premiers.
The individual award goes to Nick Worley who plays with the Newman Holy Rosary Basketball Club. Nick played in the State Under 14 Development Team plus won the MVP for the Inter District competition.
Newman Churchlands Swim Club
Newman Knights Hockey Club
2020 Junior Coaching – Expressions of Interest
With 2020 season just around the corner, it’s time to do a shout out for anyone interested in coaching a Junior team to please express their interest.
Please contact our Junior Coordinator on email@example.com if you would like for a coach or assistant coach position next year.
Coaches for 2020 will be selected after registration day in February 2020.
Annual General Meeting
Newman Knights Hockey Club will be holding their Annual General Meeting on Sunday 8 December at 4.00pm in the Newman Sports Complex. All members are encouraged to attend, with positions on the Committee to be filled and plans for the 2020 season to be discussed.