It has been a very successful year for Newman College Sport due largely to the hard work and dedication from all of our athletes in a wide range of carnivals and events. Some of the highlights include;
- 8 NAS Premierships
- Top 5 Finish in ACC A Division Swimming, Cross Country and Athletics Carnivals
- ACC Girls Hockey Challenge Champions
- Senior Girls School Sport WA Water Polo Champions
- 1st XVIII Glenn Jakovich Cup Premiers
- Eleven Newman athletes received ‘All Star” status in ACC Swimming, Cross Country and Athletics Carnivals
- Josh Baker (Year 12) received ‘ACC Letters’ in Athletics
- Luke Burke (Year 7) won the Junior Boys School Sport WA State Triathlon
Along with these outstanding achievements, Newman also had successful Marist Carnival Tours to Victoria for Basketball and Alice Springs for Netball. The Marist 1st XI Cricketers are currently competing in Lismore, NSW and are due back in Perth today.
Being a member of a Marist Touring Team is a great honour and privilege. All students chosen for Marist Teams are selected as much for their attitude and character as their sporting ability. It should be an ambition for all younger students to work hard and improve to one day continue the tradition.
It is also important to acknowledge all of the staff and coaches for giving of their time, especially those from the Newman Sporting Association. NSA coaches help to promote a strong partnership between the College and Clubs which significantly benefits the development of all athletes.
The College provides countless opportunities to be involved in sport and exercise which we all know has a positive influence, contributing to good health and wellbeing. We look forward to further participation, healthy competition, success and enjoyment in 2020.
Matthew Connell, Head of Sport
- Well done to Tatenda Makova (Year 11) scoring an unbeaten century against Assumption College in today’s match at the Marist Cricket Carnival. This was the first century by a Newman student at a Marist Carnival in 17 years. Tatenda is also the Captain of the 2019 team.
- Congratulations Mackenzie Webb (Year 10) who was acknowledged and awarded Most Valuable Player in both netball and football for both Marist Football Club and Newman Sienna Netball Club. In the netball she was voted by the parents each week and the football was by the coaching staff.
Newman Sporting Association News