At Newman College, we endeavour to support our students in both their academic and social-emotional development. As a community of faith, we look to Jesus Christ as a model of values and morals, and we reflect on how we can emulate his loving actions in our daily lives.
Fathers Day Celebrations
Dads, Grandads and special male figures were warmly welcomed to the Lavalla Campus on Monday 2 September to celebrate Fathers Day with a complimentary coffee and a special Prayer Assembly led by Year 5 Red.
Year 5 Leadership Workshops
This week concluded the final of three Leadership Workshops for Year 5 students hoping to be considered for nomination to Year 6 Student Council in 2020. The sessions were themed as follows:
- Vision for Learning
- Wellbeing and Team building
- Servant Leadership and Faith Formation
The student leadership process will continue moving into Term 4 as we work towards the election of the Year 6 Student Council in 2020.
It has been wonderful to see the students embrace this extra-curricular opportunity, attending before school weekly and participating with enthusiasm. I am very excited about the prospects for student leadership into 2020.
Life Education Van
This week, all classes have enjoyed visiting the Life Education Van in support of their classroom learning in Health Education. Students have explored the following modules:
- Year 3 – Bcyberwise – focusing on cybersafety and exploring issues around security, sharing information and communicating respectfully.
- Year 4 – Mind Your Medicine – developing students’ understanding of medicines and their safe use, as well as strategies for dealing with stress and conflict.
- Year 5 – Decisions – exploring the decision-making process by looking at choices, consequences, responsibility, facts and influences; particularly in preparing for making decisions about the use of drugs and alcohol and their health impacts.
- Year 6 – Relate Respect Connect – exploring the importance of building positive, safe and respectful relationships both online and offline, as well as strategies for responding to unsafe or disrespectful situations.
Our annual visit from the Life Education Van is an invaluable inclusion to the Health curriculum and social-emotional learning taking place in classrooms. I hope that parents took-up the opportunity to visit the Open Van Session on Monday 9 September to discuss the programs with the visiting educators and have a look at the student workbooks, information sheets and pamphlets made available.
Latest Sport News
- Years 3-6 Athletics Carnival Results and Highlights
- Individual Accomplishments – Annabel Lynch Year 3 Green
Latest Library News
- The Indigenous Literacy Book Swap
- James Foley Incursion
Save the Date: Grandparents Day – Wednesday 25 September
Our annual Grandparents Day event will take place on Wednesday 25 September (Week 10). Click here for more information.
If there are any parents able to support the Primary Social Committee in the set-up and serving of morning tea on the day, please contact Anna Stefanovski on 0407 101 178