This week we celebrated the wonderful achievements of our Year 12 cohort at a final assembly and Graduation Mass and Ceremony. Highlights from an emotional final assembly included Luke Ricciardi’s reflection of his time at Newman College and a standing ovation for Mr Mac, following an account of his time as Leader of Wellbeing (LOW). To the sounds ‘Amazing Grace’ played on the bag pipes by Year 7’s Noah Connelly, the Year 12’s were lead from the assembly. Year 5 students formed a guard of honour to acknowledge the Year 12’s as they exited the Gym for the final time as students of Newman College.
On Thursday 18th October, Year 12 students, family, friends and staff gathered for the final time for the Mass and Graduation Ceremony. In this “Year of Hope”, our Mass was celebrated by Fr Joe Tran. Fr Joe encouraged the graduates to continue to carry the important message and virtue of “mercy” out into the world.
The Graduation ceremony saw a number of musical acts, slideshows, and reflective addresses;
- Luke Romano performed an amazing guitar solo ‘Always with You, Always with Me’. Click here to view this performance.
- Grethe Pienaar gave an inspiring Graduates Address, reflecting on her time and experiences at Newman College. ‘This is a whole new chapter in our lives. The world is our oyster’. Click here to see part of her address.
- Jess, Beth, Tommi and Mark were recognised for their contribution to the Arts program during their time at Newman College. They arranged and performed a ‘Farewell Medley’ in front of their peers. Click here to see part of their performance.
We were delighted to welcome back to the College Damien Wallman (Class of ’93) who provided the Year 12’s with some advice as they enter life after secondary school; “Failure is good, admit your faults, treasure your family & friends, work hard, challenge yourself but always have fun”.
In his Principal’s Address, Mr Finneran encouraged the Year 12’s to reflect on their aspirations and expectations of how they reached the final day at Newman College. “Whilst we may never be fully prepared for what lies ahead of us, I believe that you have many tools within you which will serve you well”.
The evening concluded with recognising the outstanding academic, sporting and community achievements and contributions of the Year 12 cohort. The following students received the College’s highest awards:
- Jessica Ranieri, recipient of the Class of 1977 Award. The highest achieving student engaged in Vocational and Educational Training opportunities.
- Anika Powers received the JJ Clune Award. Presented to the Year 12 student who is acknowledged as the most outstanding graduate of the year.
- Jacinta Pavisich who was announced as this year’s Br Cletus Read Proxime Accessit recipient.
- The Monsignor Kennedy Award for Dux of the College was awarded to Kascia Pavisich. Her average across the top 5 subjects was 86.4%. A remarkable performance!
A full list of award winners can be found here Year 12 Awards
Congratulations to our Y12s. We are delighted to officially welcome you all as our newest Alumni; The Class of 2018.