Newman News Term 4 Week 4: From the Vice Principal
- Fri 11 November – Remembrance Day. Poppies are available for a gold coin donation in the main administration office of each campus.
- Mon 14 to Fri 24 November – Marian and Lavalla Swimming Lessons
- Thu 24 November – Y7 to 11 Secondary Awards and Principal’s Assembly, 8.45am, Marcellin Gymnasium.
- Wed 23 November – Y10 River Cruise
- Thu 24 November – Y11 last day
- Tue 6 December – Y3 Pizza Pool
- Tue 6 December – Y6 Mass and Graduation, 5.30pm, Marist Auditorium
- Wed 7 December – Y4 Pizza Pool
- Wed 7 December – Kindy to Y5 Awards and Carols Evening (Compulsory Event)
- Thu 8 December – Y5 Pizza Pool
- Thu 8 December – Y6 End of Year Celebration, Adventure World
Welcome to Week 4, can you believe that we are nearly halfway through the final term of the year? Our Year 12 students started their ATAR examinations this week, and our Year 11 Students will join them next week. We wish our students well in their examinations.
The Primary school staff are working hard to prepare an amazing transition step-up experience for the students later this term. The day will assist with setting the students and teachers up for success in 2023. We had our incoming 2023 Year 7s join us for a transition evening last week, and the Year 6 Graduation is just around the corner. Newman College continues to be a place that does not stop!
World Teachers’ Day last Friday, 28 October offered us a chance to acknowledge and celebrate our teachers. The place of teachers in the world cannot be underestimated. They are the professionals that play a significant part in preparing young people for all other professions. The influence of a kind teacher can stretch a whole life long. A sincere thank you to all our wonderful educators for the work that you do and for going above and beyond for our student community.
Year 7 2023 Transition Workshop
Last Tuesday 25 October the 2023 Year 7s joined us for their first workshop. Our Year 10 Peer Mentors and Guild Coordinators assisted in the running of the afternoon, which included afternoon tea and ‘Getting to Know You’ activities. The 2nd and final workshop is on Tuesday 15 November. The focus will be ‘Getting to Know the School’ and understanding what it means to be a Newman College student. Our Year 7 2023 cohort will learn how to use their locks and practice, using a timetable, getting around the College. The Peer Mentors are looking forward to this second opportunity to get to know our Year 7 2023 students.
Students and visitors to the College are reminded that WACE exams are currently taking place and Year 11 exams commence next week. The final exam date for both is Friday 18 November. We therefore ask you are quiet when walking around the Marcellin Campus, especially around the Auditorium and the Exam Centre.
The next meeting will take place on Monday 7 November 6.00pm, at St John Henry Learning Hub. This group is critically important in providing input and feedback. We encourage parents to join us at this meeting to gain insight into our school improvement plan and to discuss school concerns.
Visual Arts and Technologies Exhibition – Art Festival
The festival was a celebration of two spectacular showcases of creative talent. The Dance showcase opened with ‘Mythos’ on Sunday 23 October with their human storytelling of iconic stories, and on Wednesday 26 October ‘Ignite’ showcased our emerging artists and designers from Kindergarten to Year 12. We were in awe of our student’s endeavours in painting, printmaking, ceramics, drawing, sculpture, textiles, and woodwork.
Special thanks must go to our Arts Learning Area and staff who worked very hard to put this event together.
New Staff / Staff Movements
Leader of Wellbeing PK-2: Edwina Battersby
Leader of Learning Primary K-6: Catherine Young
Congratulations to both Edwina and Catherine in their new roles.
Uniform – Bathers and Rash Vest requirements
As previously communicated, the College has introduced New College bathers and rash vests. In keeping with College uniform expectations, students are required to adhere to the following changes relating to College bathers and rash shirts.
- Years 1-2: No change. Students continue to wear their own personal bathers and rash vests.
- Years 3-9 (2022): College bathers and rash vests (old or new) are compulsory.
- Years 3-10 (2023): New style College bathers and rash vests will be compulsory. No old bathers or rash vests can be worn.
** Due to stock issues earlier in the year, students in Years 7 to 10 may wear the older version of the College bathers and rash vests for the remainder of 2022. New bathers and rash shirt must be purchased for 2023.